Life As Art

Musings on life, passion, beauty, expression, creativity, relationships, ideas, and oh so much more!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma, United States

\\\ Chaser of Light \\\ Lover of the Good Life \\\ Creator of Portrait & Style Art for the Glorious \\\ http://www.REVELphoto.com

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ignorance is Bliss…

…awareness requires accountability. One would hope that compassion would require action, but I notice in myself that those moments where your heart breaks in effort to empathize with another are all too fleeting. Sometimes you change the channel because you can’t bear the images. Sometimes the issues just seem too large to be able to make a difference on your own. The magnitude of pain and injustice can be so overwhelming that we employ avoidance in order to protect our seemingly safe existence. Other times, we are too hardened to notice and at others too involved with our own dramas.

But hurrah for the images and stories that haunt us; not letting us remain unchanged. They force us to become involved either by pushing them out of our minds over and over or taking small steps to affect the situation. Some people even abandon other plans to throw themselves headlong into finding or creating solutions.

What if we could all use what we already have to be a part of the solution? What if all it took was a little organization and planning or just a bit of repurposing? I’m reminded of a song that says, “What’s that you have in your hand? I can use it, if you’re willing to lose it. Take the little you have and make it grand. I am El Shaddai and I’ll more than supply your need.” I would credit the author but I don’t know who wrote it; it was recorded by Truth. I also think about the church of Acts and how they held all they had in common. Then I think about the people I know and how many gifts and talents there are among us. Because there doesn’t seem to be much money, we can feel very poor. But if we pool our resources, there is such wealth among us.

With what cause do you start - the homeless, orphans, unwed mothers, the sick, or those who have material things but are lovesick, which can lead to a greater pain than being in material need? How do you focus with so many crying out around you? It’s overwhelming enough to make you want to bury your head in the ground (or your own circle of friends) and revert back to your ignorant bliss.

Today, I think we can start with awareness. Let us open our eyes and truly see what is around us. It is easy to zoom in on the visibly needy, but let’s pan out and see the variety of desperation around us. We can tune our ears to the silent cries of the hearts we encounter. We can look at what the city we live in offers up for lifestyle and begin to dream of how to offer our own gifts to enhance the quality of life for those who dwell among us. We can become the prophetic voice crying out in the wilderness saying, “Look here, remember this, go there, offer yourself.” The watchman is all about awareness. How can you discern or understand if you have no knowledge? And what good is knowledge if you don’t understand or employ discernment? But today let’s start by shaking the sleep out of ourselves, just as you would try to wake your leg up from its numbness, and become alive to all that is around us. Be on the lookout and we will find more than pain, depravity, and utter need. I believe we will see the goodness of the Lord and begin to receive the wisdom to string knowledge, understanding and discernment into strategy.

Check out my friend Jeff's blog for a little jolt: http://visterra.blogspot.com/

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. It can be so overwhelming to think of the great need of this world. If I go on a car trip or plane trip and pray for safety, it makes me think of every other person who is traveling that day who is not getting prayed for. I feel so helpless but I just pray a covering for everyone. What else can I do??

I think sometimes it takes something close to home to move us to action. Right now my family is in Colorado with my sister, who is pregnant, single, and has a young daughter. We're helping her in everyway we know how from babysitting, to cleaning, organizing, fixing the computer, etc. It may not seem like much to us, but I know we're making a difference and I can feel God's hand on us here.

It's hard not to be impacient, but trust in the talents God has given to you because He will put purpose to them.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Ignorance is bliss" in my life. I wouldn't have thought so until I took some time pondering out these thoughts of yours.

For me, I get so overwhelmed by all the needs of the world that I, most times, ignore the big picture. And I only see it in the light of reality when it is happening to me or to someone I love. I would like to believe that it's not because I am selfish or in a naive bubble, but because I'm not sure exactly what I can do, nor do I think that I have the power to help such great needs. So the best solution for me would be to leave the chaos of the world in the hands of others. Which brings me to this thought...Where is my passion to fight for the hurting, needy and lost? I consider myself a lover of people; but if I choose to ignore their cries and desperation, how much love can I really have for them? My actions don't line up with my words. I can tell them I love them, but if I don't put action behind that love, then I am doing nothing for them.

Therefore, I ashamedly fall in the category of "Ignorance is bliss." If I choose to ignore, how will I ever be made aware of what I can tangibly do to aid in the lives of others? Instead of thinking, I can, I have chosen to believe that I can't. By thinking in that way, I leave myself accountable to nothing and no one. On one hand it seems a relief to not be held liable of seeing the depravity in the world; on the other hand, to be ignorant and unaware, leaves me dead or asleep in this world. And though relief sounds better or shall I say, easier...I don't want to be asleep in the world. By living that way, I am doing an unjustice to my creator who gives me life and purpose. And, if I don't put action, awareness and accountability into my life and my purpose, then I am as, "a flower quickly fading-here today and gone tomorrow," with nothing left behind to show of Christ in me.

All that being said, I was encouraged when I realized that all is not lost. I can change; I can be made aware; and even though it is scary and daunting, I am accountable to what is going on around me and in this world. I don't have to stay in my state of ignorant bliss and I can make a difference because of Who is in me.

When you said,

"But today let’s start by shaking the sleep out of ourselves, just as you would try to wake your leg up from its numbness, and become alive to all that is around us."

I was challenged to remind myself each day that life goes beyond me and all I have to do to help is wake up, pay attention and be alive in and to this world.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home